Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to feb 21st

Moderator: SAC Committee

Conn Buckley

Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to feb 21st

Post by Conn Buckley » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:56 pm

Just been reading todays Irish Times. There is a nice piece in it about this upcoming event in the National Botanical Gardens in Dublin and it features 4 images, one of which is Dave Lillis's glorious image of the diamond ring effect during the total solar eclipse in Antalya, Turkey back in March 2006. This image sure brings back great memories having been fortunate enough to be part of the group trip by Irish Astronomers to Antalya for the eclipse.

I know that John O'Mahony also has an image of the Milky Way (that will feature in this exhibition) taken during his recent stay in Australia.

Congats to Dave and John …… well done. I shall definitely be making a trip to see this exhibition. Conn

Dave Lillis

Re: Irish Astrophotography Exhibition Feb 2nd to feb 21st

Post by Dave Lillis » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:09 am

Thanks Conn, I have to say I was delighted that they accepted it, there was some serious stiff competition in there. Ill also be going to this exhibition.
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)

Simon Kenny

Post by Simon Kenny » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:50 pm

Well done Dave.

John O'Mahony

Post by John O'Mahony » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:16 am

Thanks Conn

I think I have two images at the exhibition (I saw a very brief glimpse of the other image on the RTE news item). That is a cracking shot Dave. It does bring back good memories of the Turkey event.
I am amazed at the press coverage this exhibition has received. Well done to all the organisers.
John O'Mahony
--------------------
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:03 pm

I'll be heading up to it on Saturday 13th, will do the Dunsink visit later on the same day..

Conn Buckley

Post by Conn Buckley » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:57 pm

I managed to get to see this free exhibition last Friday. I thought it was a brilliant exhibition of some of the best astrophotography by Irish amateurs. In fact the room (in The Botanical Gardens in Dublin) where the framed images were presented did justice to all these fine images.

I have seen most of these images already on the IFAS site but somehow viewing them in this style of presentation was all the more enjoyable. I spotted 3 images by Dave Lillis and 2 by John O' Mahony.

Deirdre Kelleghan's sketches of the Moon and Sun were very striking and in particular the one showing granulation on the Sun. I can only imagine how much time and effort went into observing this detail, not to mention her artistic talent in presenting the final result.

There was quite a few people viewing the exhibition while I was there and from chatting to the lads from IAS I understand that about 4,500 people had signed the visitors book. Given that only one person of a group may have signed the book then upwards of 5,000 has seen the exhibition. Well done to all those who conceived of and brought the project to fruition.

It would be great if this collection of images could be displayed in other cities.

Conn Buckley

Post by Conn Buckley » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Just saw that the final attendance estimate for this exhibition was 8,000 to 10,000.

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:44 pm

pretty cool.
Also, as far as i know, this exhibition is traveling to Belfast, after that I dont know...