Hi everyone!

Moderator: SAC Committee

Rachel Clancy

Hi everyone!

Post by Rachel Clancy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:16 pm

I must say it's great to find people locally who share the same interest as me. I've always had an interest in astronomy, but lately it's turning into an obsession, I'm an amateur, of course, loving the planets & constellations. I have a sister who lives out in Oola, & when I went out there one evening I couldn't believe my eyes, it was like a different world, millions of stars & I could see the milky way & andromeda galaxy, now I understand why my sis was so wrapped up in it. For the last few months I've been out nearly every night (taking weather conditions into account), but theres not much to see from Corbally! I also use Starry Night software, & usually keep it running all day, handy to just click & find out whats out, what position they are in etc...I hope to learn loads & I'll probably bombard ye all with questions haha! :)

John O'Mahony

Post by John O'Mahony » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:32 pm

Welcome to the SAC forums Rachael !
Feel free to post any astronomy related questions on these boards. We are a pretty relaxed and friendly bunch so don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a few members in and around the Corbally area so you are not alone.

John
John O'Mahony
--------------------
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:00 pm

ah, its great ot see other fanatics out there :wink: :lol:
You say you're hobby is an obsession, many others think so too, infact the company who make the scope I use is called "Obsession", as you'd have to be either that or "nuts" to get one, go figure :shock: :lol:

But I do know how you feel. When I started off in the hobby, all my friends thought I was mad, my relations thought I was mad, my family thought I had lost the plot.
This was before the internet so it took me a few years to find out about clubs and ended up joining the one here in Limerick.
We try and get out as often as we can, as far as I'm concerned observing is what its all about. But there are many facets to all of this, some people are armchair astronomers and are content to soak in book on this stuff, I like a good mix.
Its great that you're using starrynight, a great tool for discovering the sky.

I dont know what level you are at so I'll just give you a few small tips,
You're best step when starting off is to print out basic star maps if you haven't got a book with them and learn where ALL the constellations (ones visible from Ireland) are, go out and find as many stick figures in the sky as you can. Learn where they are, learn them to the point that all you have to do is walk out your front door and be able to recognise the sky in a few seconds. You will be able to do this from Corbally. Think of it as finding the country boundries on a map of the world.
Once you've done that, then dig into starrynight and learn where the Messier (M) and brighter NCG objects in those consterllations are. Think of this as finding the cities in each country.
Once you've done all the above, you'll be well armed and ready to go when you get whichever scope you select.
Last edited by Dave Lillis on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)

Rachel Clancy

Post by Rachel Clancy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks guys, yup, I'm at that point where every spare second I have, I'm either flying to the window to peek up at the sky and see whats around. Jupiter is visible from my location at the moment, I borrowed a DSLR and am trying to snap it, but wasnt expecting all the settings it has, trying to get stars and Jupiter to come out not as a white blob!!!! Also going to O'Mahonys tomorrow to look for a book or 2, one on constellations preferably. Not sure which one to pick,or what to go for, but thats what makes it fun, such fun, and wow, what fantastic things go on up in that sky, cannot wait to see Mars tonight, if the sky co-operates!!

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:01 pm

For constellation and general star maps, try out
Nortons star atlas
Cambridge star atlas
both are excellent and one of them will be there surely.
for a handbook at the scope eyepiece (small enough to be held in one hand),
Collins pocket guide to the stars and planets.
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)

Frank Ryan

Post by Frank Ryan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:11 pm

Hi Rachel,
Welcome to the boards.
It sounds like yourself and your sister are big into this which is great!

I still get excited about what's up in the sky each night and I'm at this
for 28 years!

You both should defiantly come along to the next club meeting.
I'd say it's defiantly going to be your cup of tea!

We are also planning some club observing sessions soon
(weather permitting) so keep an eye here for updates...
namely the Geminid Meteor Shower...

Rachel Clancy

Post by Rachel Clancy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:53 pm

Yup,, that's peaking next weekend, isnt it? Was really disappointed with the last one, weather so bad saw nothing, a trip out to Oola this weekend, methinks! I don't drive too, so I do most of my observation from my front garden on Corbally road!

Frank Ryan

Post by Frank Ryan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:10 am

Well you sure sound like you know your stuff.
A few of our members dont drive but there is
Usually a lift going.
BTW,
Were ye at the Burren Starparty?
I remember talking to someone who was from Oola.

Rachel Clancy

Post by Rachel Clancy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Hey, no, that wasn't me, the sis is from Oola though, she didn't know about the club until recently too. I didn't know about the stargazing in the Burren until someone mentioned it to me, that was only a few weeks ago, I went on line then trying to find out everything about it, that's when I found this forum, thank god, thought I was alone haha!