Hello

Moderator: SAC Committee

Diarmaid O'Loughlin

Hello

Post by Diarmaid O'Loughlin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:14 pm

Just to introduce myself, I've made a few attempts to make the Club meeting but the world or work is against me. Was out last night dead happy to catch a glimpse at 4 planets Mercury, Venus Mars and Saturn.

I have a 90mm Celestron Astromaster which I picked up to get me started. I'm getting alright views of the planets, can easily make out the rings of Saturn with a moon or two , I can't pick up any details on it however. I think I could see some detail of the phase of venus. However I'm having trouble picking out some of the DSO's. i think I just to head to darker skys and have a go there. The light in shannon is just too strong these days.

Hope to make it to a few observing sessions .. will def try make it on the 16th.

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi, Diarmaid,
and welcome! the weather is looking good for the Friday the 16th, bring along the scope if you like.
DSO require a darkish site, also your scope is on the smaller side, the bigger the aperture the brighter the object, you'll get a chance to have a look through the clubs 2 scopes and compare, the scopes are a 12" dob and a 10" SCT.
see ya.,
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)

Frank Ryan

Post by Frank Ryan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:36 am

Hi Diarmaid.
Ya the light pollution in Shannon has got a lot worse in the last 5 years.
Objects I used to be able to pick up in a 5'' I can barly see now in a 10''!
Last night I set up the club 10'' out the back and the difference between
there and the Burren is lightyears apart.
Small scopes need dark skies or else they are only good for Planets and the Moon.

I managed to image the four planets last night that were on offer:
http://www.frankryanjr.com/latest.htm

See ya.