Deep cycle batteries

Moderator: SAC Committee

Dave Lillis

Deep cycle batteries

Post by Dave Lillis » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Guys'n gals,
I did a bit of looking up a few years ago on battery chargers, one rule of thumb is that your charger must be able to supply 10% of the amphourage in current, so a 100amphour battery needs a 10 amp battery charger, if your charger is a microcontroller type, you can slightly lower that apparently and get away with it, otherwise you end up not been able to fully charge the battery.
Its why I got the charger I did, it can pump out 10.5 amps and monitors the battery so it doesnt overcharge.
The below is some great info on batteries and chargeing I found elsewhere.
LEISURE/DEEP-CYCLE BATTERIES

A word of advice!

Take care to calculate all your 12 volt items and their requirements before the initial purchase as a lightly used battery will eventually be the most economic.

Leisure batteries are designed to give a steady low amp discharge rather than meet the sudden demand required from a car battery to start an engine.

The life of a leisure battery is largely determined by the depth of the discharge cycle. We will say as an example that a leisure battery that is discharged each time by 15% of it's capacity may last for ten years. The same battery discharged by 30% of it's capacity will last for 8 years, 50% for 5 years, 75% for 3 years and possibly being discharged by 100% lasting only 1 year.

A 100 amp hour battery delivers 100 amps for 1 hour. Or 10 amps for 10 hours etc in theory, but in reality you should never drain the battery that much.

Power is amp x volts, so 100amps at 12v = 1200 watts, or 1,2kW 1.2kW for 1 hour is 1.2kWh.

Any form of heating element will cause a rapid drain on a battery, an electric kettle for example, also remember that a non compressor type refridgerator relies on a heating element to function.

All batteries self discharge when not in use and leisure batteries will self discharge 7 to 10% monthly.

How to kill your battery dead!

1/. Uncontrolled Charging causes overheating and gassing.

2/. Used too little (memory effects, so cycle every 2 months)

3/. Stored discharged (sulphating, any flat battery left flat will be scrap within 3 months)

4/. Do not store on a cold surface as this rapidly increases the self discharge rate.

5/. Too much deep cycling (a good rule of thumb is not to go beyond 50% of the battery's endurance at worst)

Volts - State of charge
12.7V or over – 100%
12.5V – 75%
12.4V – 50%
12.2V – 25%
12V or under – Discharged

When battery manufacturers state that a battery has a capacity of 110 Ah they presume the battery will be operating where the ambient temperature is 25 degrees centigrade. For every 1 degree centigrade drop in temperature the battery capacity falls by 1%

The time required to recharge a leisure battery can be calculated as follows. The recharge time in hours equals the battery capacity in Ah, multiplied by the Depth of Discharge in %, multiplied by 0.8, multiplied by 1.5, divided by 100 times the charger current rating in Amps, plus one hour. For example, a 110 Ah battery, discharged to 50%, on a 10 Amp charger, would take about 7.6 Hours
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)

Tom Walsh

Post by Tom Walsh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Hey Dave,
At long last, project power tank is finished!
I've now got a nice portable power tank with 52 AH capacity!
4 Marine 12 V sockets, all fused, just in case the coffee maker might draw too much power on the cold nights!
Bring on the frost!
Regards,

Tom Walsh.

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Hey Tom,
Great stuff, make up a new thread and throw up a few pics.
Looking forward to seeing it in action.
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)