Jupiter moons/shadows transit

Moderator: SAC Committee

Dave Lillis

Jupiter moons/shadows transit

Post by Dave Lillis » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:52 pm

Hi,
There appears to be some interesting Jupiter moon/shadow transits coming up which might be of interest to some, one in particular is happening this Saturday morning, this is worth having a look for if the weather is clear and you're up.
Gordon showed this in the last club meeting, but its worth repeating as its a good event.

Here is a quick rundown of whats happening on the early hours... (times are approximate)
Callisto's shadow starts to cross Jupiters disk at 03.10am
Io's shadow begins to transit at 4.32
Io itself begins to transit at 4.53
Io's and Callisto's shadow merge and pass each other out at 5.48 while Io is still transiting
Io passes over Callisto's shadow at 6.19 while Callisto begins to transit Jupiters disk
Europa's shadow begins to transit at 6.26

So by 6.30, you have Io's, Europa's and Callisto's shadow on the disk of Jupiter along with Callisto and Io.

Europa ventures onto the disk of Jupiter by 7.08 but by now Io's shadow will have finished transiting, the sky will be brightening by then, but if you can still see it you see 3 moons and 2 shadows on the face of Jupiter at the one time, something I have to say I've never seen through a scope before.. so lets hope for clear skies. :)
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)

Frank Ryan

Re: Jupiter moons/shadows transit

Post by Frank Ryan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:29 am

Got set up and waited for the clouds to clear
and waited
and waited
the usual
nice event / bad weather
:(