Burren Starparty 2010 Success!

Moderator: SAC Committee

Frank Ryan

Burren Starparty 2010 Success!

Post by Frank Ryan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Well the 2nd Shannonside Astronomy Club 'Burren Starparty'
was last weekend and I'm delighted to report we had excellent weather.

Observing site looking North (to Galway)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/498 ... 2c1b_b.jpg

Dr. Thomas Bopp

Robin Scagel

Mike Henchy

Tom signs prints of Hale Bopp

A few words from Dave Lillis our observing director:
We had some fine luck with the weather, it improved in the afternoon with a small bit of clouds when we arrived at the site at 7.30-45. This gave everyone enough time in the setting sun to comfortably set up their equipment, there was a good spread of dobs, refractors and SCTs there, we had a glance at the thin cresent moon in the far western horison as it set.
The sky had patchy clouds until about 9pm and then it cleared completely, no haze and with as dark a sky as we could have hoped for which is great since the site has a 360 degree perfectly flat horison. Robin Scagill gave the site a 9/10 in terms of darkness/horison, which is a great thumbs up.
The milkyway was ablaze through cygnus and could be easy seen right down through sagittarius, the teapot was easily visible and a number of good clusters were hunted there.
Many other deep sky views were had, the nebulae all popped into view, my favourites were the N. american, helix, californian and veil nebulae, and the globular cluster gave their usual stunning views, especially so as the seeing was very good with hardly and movement.

Jupiter was showing up well in the scopes with some great detail visible, the GRS became visible later on in the night. Uranus and Neptune were also spied on.

The wind became a little gustier as the night wore on, but wasnt too bad. We finished up at 3.15, tired and worn out.
Here's to The Burren Starparty 2011 !

If anyone has any other shots (especially of the observing site with the scope set up) please send them on!

Robin has just emailed me to say Astronomy Now have requested
a report from him about the Starparty so keep an eye out for
that in the next issue!

John O'Mahony

Post by John O'Mahony » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:36 pm

Looks like it was a perfect event in every way. Wish I could have been there. Well done to all the organisers and participants.
How did the Lodge compare to the hotel with the meeting room facilities?
John O'Mahony
--------------------
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Frank Ryan

Post by Frank Ryan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Logues were nothing short of excellent!
They helped out in every way they could,
the food was amazing and they set up the rooms perfectly.
They actually made it all so much easier to run.
I made a point of thanking the manager on behalf of the club for all
the staffs help.
He was chuffed and welcomed us back next year.

And soooo much cheaper too!!!

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:09 pm

ya know, its nice to finish off a starparty where EVERYTHING went perfectly, man, even the hotel food was excellent, alot better then the averagy overpriced crap we used to get in Birr, and the skies are to die for.!!!
and no booom boooom booom disco music till 3 in the morning at the hotel for those who go to sleep.
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)