Who's going to Loch gur this evening

Moderator: SAC Committee

Dave Lillis

Who's going to Loch gur this evening

Post by Dave Lillis » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi,
As I'm sure you all know by now, Frank Prendergast will be giving a talk at the center at loch gur this evening at 8, a number of us are heading out there, who else is going out ?
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)

Gordon Lalor

Re: Who's going to Loch gur this evening

Post by Gordon Lalor » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm going, gerry should be there as well. Hopefully the text earlier and the FB post will get a few more people going.

Dave Lillis

Re: Who's going to Loch gur this evening

Post by Dave Lillis » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:06 am

Hi all,
What a super night !!, we showed up at 7.50 , Frank Prendergast did an interesting talk on stone circles across Ireland and further afield and how they compare, and the possible astronomical significance of the stones in the one at Lock Gur.
At the end, we set up the clubs 12" dobsonian telescope and all the crowd got a great view of the waning gibbous Moon, there wasnt a cloud in the sky.
Jerry Garvey had his camera and took many pics, Gordon Lalor handed out leaflets to everyone there, Frank Ryan gave the crowd a great night sky tour and I manned the scope making sure it stayed on the Moon so everyone got a look.

Afterwards we then went down to the lake to survey the location as a possible observing site, it definitely has potential !!
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)