Lough Gur Dark Sky Park

Moderator: SAC Committee

Frank Ryan

Lough Gur Dark Sky Park

Post by Frank Ryan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi all.
So as you may or may not know I began a 'Dark Sky Initiative' last year and have been preparing to launch it for some time.
The initial idea I had was to create it as a separate entity with the 'backing' of SAC to promote dark sky awareness in the club areas.
Soon I realized this was way to ambitious and decided to focus on the area of Lough Gur, simply because it has over the last while become
our new observing location and as a committee member of the Lough Gur Science Advisory Board I have a great working relationship with the management.
Therefore, I changed the initiative from a broad '3 counties' one and decided to concentrate the efforts in and around the Lough Gur area.
With the support and backing of the Heritage Center we ran the 'Kick off' meeting last week where I invited Al White to speak on Light Pollution
and to ask him for information on the possibility of submitting an application to the International Dark Skies association for accreditation.
Although the numbers were low in attendance. Thanks to the club members and Dave & Shea from the committee that came.
The meeting afforded us an opportunity to investigate the likelihood of success of such an application.

Having recorded a SQM reading of 21.1 this is defiantly good news!
I've begun the ball rolling on the next steps for the project and will be busy in the coming months developing the project plan and going forward in conjunction with the heritage center. Much to do!

Obviously projects outside of the norm for club activities have to be handled with care as we experienced overload in previous
years when we took on too much; WSP / Schools Talks / Public Events / Science Fares etc.
The issue is not one of no will to do it but the fact that the club numbers are low and committee cannot be expected
to take on more than is required. It has been proved that the club is more successful in terms of enjoyment for all when
the basics are concentrated on; Monthly Meetings / Occasional Special events / Occasional Public Observing.

When setting up the Dark Sky Initiative I was mindful of the size of the project and what level of involvement the
regular club members and committee would have in it. Obviously there is absolutely zero requirement for anyone in the club
to give up their time for it nor is there any onus on the committee to either.
But any support is welcome!

Stay tuned!

Like and Share our dedicated Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/shannonsidedarkskies

News for the DSI website.
http://www.darksky.ie/444/#more-444

John O'Mahony

Re: Lough Gur Dark Sky Park

Post by John O'Mahony » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Well done frank! Its a lot of hard work and dedication.
There is an initiative to set up a dark sky reserve near Ballycroy in County Mayo (not far from Westport). It is being organised by a lady from GMIT who is trying to put in a submission. She is working with Albert on this. I was asked to give a talk there a few weeks ago to some locals (first time astronomers) trying to get a local astronomy group going and get some support for the dark sky initative. There were about twenty people there.
It was an interesting response when I mentioned that this can be good for the local economy (i.e hotels, B&Bs, pubs and restaurants etc..).

John
John O'Mahony
--------------------
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Dave Lillis

Re: Lough Gur Dark Sky Park

Post by Dave Lillis » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Good stuff Frank and John,
I look forward to Loch Gur and the site in Mayo getting accreditation,
Any help you need Frank, just say so.

Good luck John with Mayo enterprise, maybe a club will finally form in the north west from this, there has always been a big gap in the ifas map in that area.
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)