Renewing a club magazine subscription for members

Moderator: SAC Committee

Dave Lillis

Renewing a club magazine subscription for members

Post by Dave Lillis » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi,
I was thinking last night how the club used to have a subscription to a magazines, it got abandoned due to the hassle involved in collecting fees and the magazine in question itself.
We used to get sky&telescope, an american publication.

Anyway, I got a copy of "astronomy now" and S&T today and it compares well to S&T, Anow is a good 16 pages longer and has more articles. I used to get it back in the 1990s but dropped it cos at the time it seemed to me to be aimed at complete beginners.
So I sat down today and objectively compared the 2 july issues, to me S&T is abit more advanced, for instance there is an article in S&T showing how to draw M51 and hunt down faint h-alpha and clusters in the galaxy, astronomy now has alot more hands on practical stuff like how to build an observatory.
One big thing for me I noticed is that Anow has a full inch more on the size of its page, makes for a better layout, bigger images and again more content, youre definitely getting more bang for your buck with Anow.

despite some critics out there, I still like S&T, I'm not going to get into a subjective this is better then that argument, you get alot of that shite in this hobby....

We all know that S&T is not what it used to be, it was a far superior magazine 10+ years ago, no other mag could touch it. Now its smaller, the paper quality isnt as good as it used to be (feel and print quality) and its lost its solid/hard binding, all victims of now been run by venture capitalists..

So guys what I'm proposing is that when we have our agm and club subs, we'll have prepared the ground work to take subs that night for astronomy now or whatever magazine we all decide on.
What do you think,?
No point doing this if no one wants it.
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)

Frank Ryan

Post by Frank Ryan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:50 am

I's subscribe. It's the best in my book these days.
Would there be a club / group discount?

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:48 am

s&T have a small group discount, dont know about the rest, I just want a feel of how people think about it, its something we can dicsuss over the coming meetings.

Roy Stewart

Post by Roy Stewart » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Hey Dave...
I'm with BBC's Sky at night magazine...
Have no problem with it, and u get
a free cd Rom with last months episode
every month...

Cheers Roy
Roy Stewart.

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:55 pm

well, im gonna throw it out there and harrass people untill I get a magazine people actually want, if there a number of people individually subscribing to the same magazine, then that would be a good contender for the club mag.

Frank Ryan

Post by Frank Ryan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Why not do a poll on the main section
listing all the possible mags?