Observing Saturday 21st at Lough Gur

Moderator: SAC Committee

Frank Ryan

Observing Saturday 21st at Lough Gur

Post by Frank Ryan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:49 am

Well lads? I'm dying to hear how he got on last night.
From Shannon it was clear but still a bit hazy, and transparency wasn't the best.
What was it like at the lake?

John O'Mahony

Re: Observing Saturday 21st at Lough Gur

Post by John O'Mahony » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:09 pm

Ditto !
I was tempted to go last night but I was very tired. I did spend 30 minutes in the garden though with the 12" after I cleaned the mirrors.
It looked very clear last night. It must have been excellent at the Lough.

John
John O'Mahony
--------------------
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Dave Lillis

Re: Observing Saturday 21st at Lough Gur

Post by Dave Lillis » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:02 am

Hi guys,
it started off very clear and got a little hazier as the night went on, by the end there was dew everywhere, the seeing was very good, got some of the best views of jupiter Ive ever seen, but Im not sure the site is as dark as the burren tbh, we're going to have to see it a few more times to be sure either way, and another opinion would be good.
I'm not sure cos when I left limerick, there was no haze, when I got home there alot of haze (in limerick), so I'm not sure was it a good night to gauge the site. tbh even if its not quiet as good, its a hell of a lot easier to get to/from...
We went up the narrow road by the tourist center, its safe as houses up there, other cars came in to the lower car park, no one came up to us,.
we had about 7 people at it, a good crowd,
Also, i had a look on google maps, and lochgur is about twice as far from limerick as boher, so it should be easily as good.
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)