Observing session Saturday September 06th, 2008

Moderator: SAC Committee

Dave Lillis

Observing session Saturday September 06th, 2008

Post by Dave Lillis » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi all,
We're all set for a good observing session in Boher, be at the pub carpark there at 8.45 if you're interested. Bring your scopes.
An alert text to all club members has been sent earlier.
Last edited by Dave Lillis on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:58 pm

Well what a night.
Simon and Colm Kenny, John O'Mahony, Pat, Conan and I went to the hill in Boher for a good nights observing.
We visited the usual suspects such as M13, 92, 15, 3, 57, 27.
This was my first decent visit on M31, dust lanes were clearly visible, my best view of it ever, M33 was not as good as on previous occasions, it looks like a very dark site is needed to see it and its details clearly.

ngc891 was fab, as clear as any photograph, its central dust lane and galactic core easily visible. the double cluster was very nice in the 31mm eyepiece, the orange star between the clusters was a nice touch.

The double double in lyra was nicely resolved, Albireo was stunning, I panned the scope+31mm T5 along the milkyway from Albireo up past Deneb, and found some nicely coloured stars, dense starfields and some nice clusters,.

Then for the craic I tried the north american nebula and amazingly there was some good hints of it, a distinct brightening of the background sky from black to a dim red tinge but difficult to make out an outline all immersed in a crowded starfield, Conan suggested using the O3 filter, so on it went, well I have the say that stunned would be an understatement of how I felt as the lower end of the nebula (mexico) very clearly popped into view (no colour now when using the filters) , panning north the remainder of the nebula was all there to be seen, a little faint but there all the same. This nebula is massive, the 31mm eyepiece gives me over a full degree field of view and this nebula was several fields of view across. I felt that the O3 filter showed the lower peninsula section clearly while the h-beta filter showed the main body of the nebula with a sharper outline. That was the high point of the night for me !!
We also tracked down both ends of the veil nebula, fabulously twisting as usual.
I also looked up the swan nebula (M17) in Sagittarius, the O3 filter really helped with it, other objects in the constellation were too low to get clearly unfortunately, Jupiter was nothing but a bright disk with 2 fuzzy bands, the seeing in that part of the sky was poor enough.
We finished up at 3.30, tired and a little worse for wear, but been the first decent weekend night in months, we had to go for it.

I have to say that on nearly every occasion I use this 20" monster under a good sky, it always throws up objects that I always considered to be practically impossible to see through a telescope, detail in M51, M101's spiral arms, central star in M57, M33 h-alpha regions and now the north american nebula. Next on my list for the winter is the horsehead nebula, I hope the scope can deliver. :)

John O'Mahony

Post by John O'Mahony » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:54 pm

It was a nice evening. Great to see the sky again after almost four months. As usual, the views through the obsessionator were incredible. Sorry I had to leave a bit early but I had an early start on Sunday morning. Looking forward to the dark (and hopefully clear) nights ahead.
John O'Mahony
--------------------
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Frank Ryan

Post by Frank Ryan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:50 pm

I'm actually jealous!
I saw this post the night I got back from the Canary's and I have to say,
I was on the points of driving out but my good wife stopped me and just as well,
I'd have fallen asleep at the wheel!

Looks like you got in a great deal of objects there lads.
Dave, isn't it great to discover something new all the same.

I hope the weather plays ball this winter!!

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:20 pm

no harm done Frank,
Hopefully we'll get in some more night before the end of the year.
I have yet to see M42 with the obsessionator under a moonless night at a dark site, now that should be awesome. !
Last edited by Dave Lillis on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simon Kenny

Post by Simon Kenny » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:40 am

Fantastic obs session. For me the memorable objects were: the veil - absolutely magnificant; the double double in lyra and a fantastic view of Albireo; and of course the north american nebula - didn't think it was possible, but it was definitely there. All viewed through Dave's 20" obsession - what a scope.

Simon

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:29 pm

The funny thing is that today I cleaned the mirrors and they were in a much worse state then I had thought, alot of crud came off the primary mirror, now they're is great shape for the upcoming WSP.