Perseid Meteor Shower Watch Maybe?

Moderator: SAC Committee

Frank Ryan

Perseid Meteor Shower Watch Maybe?

Post by Frank Ryan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:32 pm

Traditionally one of the best showers but also it seems in the last few years one of the most clouded out!
It might be nice if a few of us from the club
got together to observe this as a group.
Does anyone have any interest?
I will mention the shower at the meeting on wed and see then,
also...
it might be an opportunity to see the impact mark on Jupiter....
All weather dependant of course...

From Terry Mosleys monthly email...

The best known of the annual showers will reach maximum on the afternoon of August 12, but as the peak is fairly broad we should see good meteor rates on the nights of both 11/12 and 12/13 August. In fact, some early members of the shower are already appearing, and rates will gradually increase until the maximum, and then decline rather more quickly, with the last ones being see around 18 August. The radiant lies close to Alpha Persei at maximum, and any meteor appearing in the general region of the famous 'Double Cluster' in Perseus to slightly North of Alpha Persei from now until about 18 August will almost certainly be a Perseid. The meteors are fast, and often bright. However, moonlight will interfere with the early part of the shower, with Full Moon on 6 August, and the Last Quarter Moon rising at the end of twilight on the date of maximum. Towards the end of the shower there will be a short opportunity to observe between the end of twilight and moonrise.
However a Last Quarter Moon is not so bright as to prevent observation, so do have a look if skies are clear around 11-15 August. Maximum rates would be about 80 per hour under ideal conditions: This year we might see around 40-50 on the night of 12-13 August if the sky is totally clear.

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:11 am

why not, but do keep in mind that the progenator comet was last in the inner solarsystem in 1992 and this meteor shower has faded in recent years, but is still worth a try.
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)

Frank Ryan

Post by Frank Ryan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:14 pm

It's always hit and miss but why not try at least?
Seeing as we are missing the peak,
which night would be best?
The night before (tue the 11th) the timing would be closer to max would it not?

Dave Lillis

Post by Dave Lillis » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:07 pm

Well,
Vibes on the web are saying August 12th between 17:30hrs and 20:00hrs UT is maximum, but obviously the 11th will also show meteors also, my current vote if for the nights of the 12th. BUT

Finnish meteor analyst Esko Lyytinen has suggested the Earth may encounter two denser meteoroid trails earlier on August 12, around 6am (laid down at parent comet 109P/Swift-Tuttle's 1862 return, though perhaps adding only 10 or less to the ZHR then) and 10am (from the comet's 1610 perihelion, adding between a few tens up to a hundred to the ZHR). Material scattered around these trails may lead to somewhat higher than normal Perseid activity for most of August 12 ahead of the ordinary maximum as well.
These maximums are all during daytime/bright hours, it doesnt make it easy for us as we'll have to look during the nearest nighttime hours as we obviously cant see anything in daytime.
Last edited by Dave Lillis on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave L. on facebook, See my images in flickr
Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me, but what a way to go. :)

Billy

Post by Billy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 am

Looks pretty cloudy tonight.
Guess it's off.

Frank Ryan

Post by Frank Ryan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:57 am

Yip. Beaten by the clouds yet again.
Here is hoping for some clear skies tomorrow night...
not likely though.